What are the Benefits of PHP?
If you need treatment for addiction to alcohol, prescription medications, or illegal drugs, you’ll need to choose from programs offering varying levels of care.
A partial hospitalization program, commonly abbreviated to PHP, is a flexible and effective hybrid of residential rehab and outpatient treatment.
According to the American Society of Addiction Medicine, there are five different levels of addiction care:
- Level 0.5: Timely intervention
- Level 1: Outpatient programs
- Level 2: IOPs (intensive outpatient programs) and PHPs (partial hospitalization programs)
- Level 3: Residential inpatient programs
- Level 4: medically-managed intensive inpatient programs
As you can see, partial hospitalization programs sit bang in the middle of this continuum of care. You’ll attend a structured treatment program for a few hours on weekdays then return home at night. If your home environment is unsuitable, you may consider basing yourself at a sober living home.
What Is a Partial Hospitalization Program?
Despite the name of a partial hospitalization program, you won’t be spending any time at all in a hospital. Instead, you’ll engage with care and treatment at a rehab center for several hours on weekdays.
Sessions at a PHP will typically run from 9am through 3pm.
At the end of each day, unlike with residential rehab for substance abuse, you head home. To get the most out of a PHP, you’ll need a stable, supportive home background with no triggers for substance abuse. If this doesn’t sum up your home environment, a sober living home might provide a firmer and more suitable base of operations.
PHPs, then, make a smart alternative to residential treatment for those unable or unwilling to engage with inpatient services. You’ll still have access to the same high level of care, and you’ll still benefit from a highly personalized treatment plan.
MAT (medication-assisted treatment) is delivered if appropriate. Especially in the case of detoxing from alcohol abuse or opioid addiction, FDA-approved medications can help reduce the intensity of withdrawal symptoms, while simultaneously tamping down cravings.
The core components of partial hospitalization programs are individual and group sessions of a range of psychotherapies like CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and DBT (dialectical behavior therapy). Here, you’ll learn to identify what causes you to abuse substances, and you’ll also learn superior healthy coping strategies that don’t involve alcohol or drugs.
Many people engaging with PHPs have a co-occurring mental health condition. If you’re struggling with dual diagnosis, the right partial hospitalization program will make allowances for this. The most effective approach is to address both the addiction and mental health disorder simultaneously.
You’ll be closely medically-monitored for the duration of a partial hospitalization program just like you would be in residential rehab, except overnight when you’ll leave the treatment center.
PHPs usually work best with mild and some moderate addictions. Moderate to severe addiction to alcohol or drugs are normally most effectively treated with inpatient services.
What, then, can you expect to gain if you’re ready to break the bonds of addiction?
What are the Benefits of a PHP
- Complete flexibility and discretion not available with residential rehab
- Cost-effective treatment that’s typically covered through health insurance
- Streamlines your transition from inpatient to outpatient treatment
- Full access to individual and group therapy sessions
- Intense and structured treatment that’s more intense than a conventional outpatient program
- Implement what you learn in therapy in real world settings
1) Complete flexibility and discretion not available with residential rehab
If you need to continue meeting obligations at home, work, or school, residential rehab simply doesn’t allow you to do this.
With a PHP, by contrast, you’ll have ample time outside of the few hours each day reserved for your treatment at the center. You’ll have no need to put your life on hold, and no need to disappear for a month or more.
If you have family and community support in place and you want the structure of residential rehab without the restrictions, a PHP might make a smooth fit.
2) Cost-effective treatment that’s typically covered through health insurance
PHPs usually cost much less than residential rehab. You won’t be paying for the accommodation or the around-the-clock care that comes with inpatient treatment.
Beyond this, almost all health insurance policies offer coverage for PHPs as they are proven effective and also affordable.
3) Streamlines your transition from inpatient to outpatient treatment
If you’re completing inpatient treatment and you don’t feel ready for the move back home, a PHP can help you more seamlessly transition.
You can slowly start easing back into independent living without totally losing the support and structure that’s helped you through residential rehab.
4) Full access to individual and group therapy sessions
You benefit from the same individual and group counseling sessions as you would in residential rehab, and you’ll also have access to the same psychotherapies.
5) Intense and structured treatment that’s more intense than a conventional outpatient program
A PHP offers you a more intensive treatment program than you would find with a traditional outpatient program.
6) Put what you learn in therapy into practice in real world settings
Unlike residential rehab, you’ll go home each day when you engage with a PHP. This offers you a golden opportunity to put what you learned in sessions that day into practice in a natural setting.
What Services Can You Expect From a PHP?
- Behavioral therapies: You’ll attend counseling sessions both individually and in group settings. The former allows you to dive deep into addiction, while the latter allows you to benefit from the support of others undergoing a similar experience. CBT, DBT, contingency management, motivational interviewing, and person-centered counseling are all commonly used in PHPs.
- Holistic therapies: From yoga and art therapy to meditation or animal therapy, PHPs encourage whole-body healing.
- Medication management: If you need prescribed medication, this can be administered through a partial hospitalization program.
- Fitness and nutrition: Your body will undergo dramatic changes during detox, and you’ll have access to nutritionists and fitness professionals to help you more easily adjust to these changes.
- Vocational development: If you need help preparing to reintegrate with the workforce, you should access help through a PHP with vocational development services.
- Relapse prevention management: You’ll work closely with therapists and counselors to formulate a solid relapse prevention plan. You’ll identify triggers that cause you to abuse substances, list red flags for relapse, and outline alternative coping mechanisms you can use.
- Access to support groups: Many people recovering from alcohol use disorder or substance use disorder find great value in 12-step support groups like AA and NA. Through a PHP, you’ll have easy access to these groups. You can also connect with peer counseling and a variety of nonprofits if you require supplemental care.
- Aftercare: All worthwhile PHPs will equip you with all the support you need for sustained sobriety as you complete your program and transition back into normal life
PHP Care at Renaissance Recovery
For anyone with a mild substance use disorder or alcohol use disorder, Renaissance Recovery Center offers partial hospitalization programs that plug the gap between inpatient and outpatient rehab, delivering the best elements of each.
Most insurance will cover the cost of a PHP, and Medicare also makes provision for partial hospitalization programs. There should be no financial barriers preventing you from seeking this kind of treatment for addiction. Call our friendly team to discuss your various financing options for a PHP here at Renaissance.
As long as you are committed to achieving long-term sobriety, you have a stable environment to operate from, and you have a milder addiction, a PHP at Renaissance Recovery Center could represent your keys to freedom. Call us right now at 866-330-9449.