Newport Beach Film Festival is an annual event that showcases a wide range of films from established and emerging filmmakers. The festival takes place in Newport Beach, California, attracting filmmakers, industry professionals, and film enthusiasts from all over the world. Newport Beach Film Festival 2023 takes place on October 12-19.
The festival features a variety of film genres, including narratives, documentaries, short films, and animation. In addition to film screenings, the festival also hosts industry panels, workshops, and networking events. This provides an opportunity for filmmakers and industry professionals to connect, share knowledge, and promote their work.
Since its inception in 1999, the Newport Beach Film Festival has established itself as a prestigious event in the film industry, showcasing many award-winning films that have gone on to win critical and commercial acclaim.
Any type of festival or gathering can be challenging for those in recovery from drug addiction and alcoholism. Plan ahead and reframe your concept of having fun, though, and you can embrace the spirit of the Newport Beach Film festival without relying on drink or drugs.
How to Stay Sober at Newport Beach Film Festival
- Plan Ahead
- Remember Your Goals
- Distract Yourself
- Bring Sober Friends
- Recognize Cravings and Adapt
1) Plan Ahead For The Newport Beach Film Festival
Congratulations on your decision to attend the Newport Beach Film Festival sober. It takes a lot of courage to commit to your recovery and planning ahead can help you stay on track and enjoy this annual event without relying on drugs or alcohol.
Here are some tips on planning ahead:
- Bring a sober friend: Having someone to talk to and lean on can be helpful, especially if you feel triggered or uncomfortable during a social occasion.
- Research the festival: Look up the schedule of events and familiarize yourself with the venue and layout of the festival. Knowing where things are located can reduce stress and anxiety.
- Bring drinks and snacks: Bring your own non-alcoholic drinks and some snacks. This may help you resist temptation and stay on track with your recovery.
- Have an exit plan: If you feel overwhelmed or triggered, you need a plan to leave the Newport Beach Film Festival. Make sure you have transportation arranged in advance or know how to easily get a ride home.
- Practice self-care: Consider some self-care activities like meditation or exercise. These activities can help you manage stress and stay centered if you need a break during the film festival.
2) Remember Your Goals While At The Newport Beach Film Festival
Here are some strategies you can use to remind yourself of your addiction recovery goals before attending the Newport Beach Film Festival:
- Write down your goals: Take some time to write down your addiction recovery goals and keep them somewhere easily accessible, like on your phone or in your wallet. Before attending the festival, review your goals and remind yourself of why you’re committed to your sustained recovery.
- Bring a sober friend: By bringing a sober friend with you to the festival, you will have someone who can help keep you accountable and provide support if you’re feeling tempted to use drugs or alcohol.
- Practice mindfulness or meditation: Before attending the festival, practice mindfulness or meditation. This may help you to stay centered and focused on your recovery goals, even in a busy and potentially triggering environment like Newport Beach Film Festival 2023.
- Create a plan: Think ahead about potential triggers or challenges you may face at the festival and create a plan for how you will respond. For example, you might decide ahead of time that you will leave the festival if you feel too tempted to use drugs or alcohol.
3) Distract Yourself
Newport Beach Film Festival offers many activities besides screenings, workshops, panels, and networking events. Seek out activities that do not revolve around alcohol.
Distract yourself from any cravings and urges by reminding yourself why you headed to the film festival in the first place: to watch great movies. Make this your focus rather than the social aspect of the festival. You might even find that you enjoy the festival more when you are fully present and engaged.
4) Bring Sober Friends
By attending the festival with sober friends, you will not only minimize temptation, but you will also have someone to help you if you feel tempted to use drugs or alcohol. Having access to accountability and support could be the difference between your sustained recovery and relapse.
You should also remain in touch with your sober support network during the festival. Reach out if you feel unable to cope with cravings or if you feel tempted to test your sobriety.
5) Recognize Cravings and Adapt
When attending a film festival sober, recognize that you may experience cravings or triggers. This is a normal and healthy part of the recovery process, but it is nevertheless vital to have a plan in place to manage these cravings.
List your personal triggers so you can do your best to avoid these. List coping techniques you will use if confronted by an urge to use drink or drugs.
Adapt your expectations and activities accordingly. Instead of attending events that revolve around alcohol or drugs, for instance, aim to focus on those like film screenings, discussions, or workshops.
Getting Sober in Newport Beach
Here are some steps you can take to support your sobriety in Newport Beach:
- Find a sober support network: One of the most beneficial things you can do when getting sober is to find a support network. This might include attending 12-step meetings, finding a sponsor, or joining a sober living community. There are many resources available in Newport Beach, including AA (Alcoholics Anonymous), NA (Narcotics Anonymous), and SMART Recovery.
- Engage with professional help: Depending on the severity of your addiction, you may benefit from engaging with inpatient or inpatient treatment. There are many reputable drug and alcohol in Newport Beach that offer a range of services, from detox to ongoing therapy and structured support.
- Avoid triggers: Identify and avoid triggers that may tempt you to use drugs or alcohol to improve your chances of sustained sobriety. For example, if certain people, places, or situations trigger cravings, avoid these as much as possible.
- Stay active: Being physically active can improve physical wellbeing and reduce stress, both useful for those in recovery from addiction. Newport Beach offers abundant opportunities for outdoor activities, from hiking and biking to swimming and surfing.
- Practice self-care: Taking care of yourself is an integral part of effective recovery. This may include eating a healthy diet, getting enough sleep, and practicing mindfulness or meditation.
Remember that getting sober is a continuous chain of events that begins with detox and rehab. Be patient and kind to yourself as you navigate this challenging but rewarding process. With the right tools and support, it’s possible to build a happy and healthy life in Newport Beach without drugs or alcohol. We can help you achieve this here at Renaissance Recovery Center near Newport Beach, CA.
Get Sober at Renaissance Recovery in Orange County
Whether you have been grappling with an addiction to illicit drugs, prescription medications, or alcohol, kickstart your recovery at Renaissance Recovery near Newport Beach County.
We specialize in the outpatient treatment of all types of addictions and mental health disorders, providing you with an affordable and effective evidence-based pathway to recovery.
For those with more severe addictions, our partial hospitalization program offers the most structured form of addiction treatment outside of inpatient rehab. Unlike an inpatient program, though, a PHP will allow you to remain anchored to your everyday life while pursuing your recovery. We also offer an intensive outpatient program that requires less time commitment and may be suitable for those with moderate or mild addictions.
If you have a dual diagnosis – an addiction with a co-occurring mental health condition, take advantage of our integrated dual diagnosis treatment program and unpack both aggravating conditions simultaneously.
All Renaissance treatment programs individualize treatment drawing from the following therapies:
- MAT (medication-assisted treatment)
- Motivational therapy
- Group therapy
- Individual counseling
- Family therapy
- Holistic therapies
When you are committed to moving from active addiction into ongoing recovery, we can help you every step of the way. Reach out to admissions today by calling 866.330.9449.