A mental health treatment or intensive outpatient program (IOP) is a more intensive option than standard outpatient therapy. The aim of a mental health IOP is to offer the client short-term stabilization while resolving any immediate flashpoints.
With a mental health IOP, the client and the family are offered a suite of services delivered by a team of dedicated professionals. The client undertakes a time-limited program alongside other clients working through similar issues. You can expect treatment from a team including nurses, licensed therapists, and psychiatrists.
Severe mental health disorders bring with them a heightened risk of substance abuse. In studies, patients with anxiety and mood disorders are twice as likely to suffer from substance abuse disorder as those without.
For some clients unable to put life on hold for a month to attend a residential rehab center in California, a mental health IOP is a viable and effective alternative. You can stay connected to your family and still go to work while getting the best mental health treatment available. What can you expect from a mental health IOP near you, then?
What Is a Mental Health Intensive Outpatient Program?
A mental health IOP is an educational mental health program providing a balance of support and structure to quickly improve daily functioning. These intensive programs are designed to help clients to resolve immediate problems while developing the skills to sustain long-term sobriety.
Most mental health IOPs meet three times weekly for around three hours each day.
It’s commonplace for mental health conditions and substance use disorders to co-occur. In the event of this dual diagnosis, a mental health IOP is one of the best routes to recovery outside of residential rehab.
Failing to treat both components increases the risk of relapse while also increasing the chances of drug use. The correct dual diagnosis care is essential for sustained recovery and sound mental health.
With an intensive outpatient mental health program in Orange County, you benefit from a more structured therapeutic environment than regular outpatient programs can provide. That said, you’ll need a stable and supportive home environment free of triggers to use drink or drugs. Failing this, you could consider basing your self at a sober living home while you undergo treatment.
You’ll get the opportunity to address the root causes of your substance use and mental health conditions. You can also take advantage of medication-assisted treatment if appropriate. This will be delivered in combination with evidence-based and holistic treatment programs to heal your mind and body.
Addiction therapy programs used in conjunction with a mental health intensive outpatient program in Southern California include:
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Holistic Therapy Program
- Partial Hospitalization Program
- Medication-Assisted Treatment Program
If mental health disorders are left untreated, not only will they not improve, but they could lead to more serious issues. As an example, untreated mental health conditions can worsen overall symptoms, increase substance abuse, and lead to violence, homelessness, and incarceration. Suicide also claims many victims of untreated mental health conditions. Mental health IOPs are a vital part of the fight against this.
Mental Health IOP Benefits
- Family: Since you’ll be staying at home, you can remain in close contact with your family.
- Discretion: You can continue working or going to school while attending a mental health IOP
- Multi-disciplinary approach: You’ll benefit from a full team of professionals onboard
- Customizable: You can work out a schedule that fits your schedule to maximize your chances of success
- Specialty programs: If you have special requirements, you can personalize a mental health IOP to accommodate
- Peer-support: You’ll be surrounded by others all working toward long-lasting recovery. With a community-based program, you’ll improve your self-confidence, self-worth, and you’ll also become more mindful
- Better cope with emotional distress: You’ll learn new skills to help you cope with life’s stressors without resorting to a chemical crutch
What To Expect from a Mental Health IOP Program Near Me
- Treatment recommended by a psychiatrist
- Intense and structured psycho-education
- Sessions of DBT
- Group therapy
- Individual therapy
- An environment less rigid than residential treatment but more intense than regular outpatient therapy
- Medication management
- Education on substance abuse
- Addiction management
What Is DBT?
Weekly group sessions will incorporate DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy).
Through DBT, you’ll learn how to:
- Manage challenging emotions
- Cut down on harmful behaviors
- Reduce the symptoms associated with your mental health condition
- Interact more effectively with others
At Renaissance Recovery, we deliver personalized mental health IOPs so you can dive down into the root issues of your mental health. By working from a strong and stable foundation, long-lasting recovery is well within your grasp.
IOP Programs for Mental Health at Renaissance Recovery Center
Complete recovery from co-occurring disorders is possible, and it all starts with your intake assessment at Renaissance Recovery Center. Here, you’ll start building a strong foundation for recovery with a personalized plan based on an accurate assessment by healthcare professionals.
Overcome your mental health disorder with an individualized treatment plan. Our mental health intensive outpatient program provides you with ongoing clinical, emotional, and peer support systems to help you to continue living free of mental health problems and substance abuse.
Contact Renaissance Recovery today to learn more about mental health intensive outpatient programs in Southern California. Call 866.330.9449 today to kickstart your recovery!