Although Newport Beach has a reputation for being a nightlife party destination, there are plenty of sober activities and events available in Newport Beach for those in recovery from addiction to drugs or alcohol.
This guide outlines the benefits of sober activities and showcases some of the best sober nightlife activities in Newport Beach.
What Are Sober Activities?
Sober activities are leisure activities or events that do not involve the use of drugs or alcohol. These activities are intrinsically fun, engaging, and enjoyable, so you won’t feel compelled to use addictive substances to enhance the experience. Sober activities can include a wide range of interests, from art and music to sports and outdoor activities.
Some examples of sober activities include:
- Fitness classes: Group fitness classes – yoga, Pilates, or spin classes, for instance – can be a great way to get exercise, meet new people, and have fun without drugs or alcohol entering the equation.
- Art classes: Taking a painting or drawing class can help you to express creativity and connect with others who share similar interests as you move from active addiction into ongoing recovery.
- Outdoor activities: Hiking, surfing, kayaking, swimming, and other outdoor activities offer a fun and exciting way to experience a natural high.
- Sober events: Organizations like AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) or local sober communities often organize sober events and activities like picnics, BBQs, movie nights, and game nights. Sober events provide a fun but safe environment for those in recovery to socialize and connect with peers.
- Volunteer work: Volunteering your time or services for a local charity or community organization enables you to give back and make a positive impact in your community, while at the same time connecting with others who share similar values.
Who Are They For?
Sober activities are suitable for anyone who prefers not to engage in activities that involve alcohol or drugs. This may include those who are in recovery from addiction, people who choose not to drink or use substances for personal or religious reasons, and those who are designated drivers or responsible for the safety of others.
Sober activities can also be a great way for anyone to have fun and socialize without the negative consequences that can come with substance use.
The Benefits of Sober Activities
There are many benefits of engaging in sober activities, especially for those in recovery from addiction. Some of these include:
- Reducing triggers: Sober activities are a healthy way to fill the void that drug or alcohol use may have previously occupied. Engaging in sober activities can reduce the risk of experiencing triggers or urges to use substances.
- Building confidence: Engaging in sober activities can help people in recovery build confidence and self-esteem. Trying new things and stepping out of your comfort zone can instill a sense of accomplishment and pride.
- Creating new social connections: Sober activities allow you to meet new people who share similar interests and values. This can be especially important for individuals in recovery who need to develop a new sober support system.
- Improving physical health: Many sober activities involve physical exercise or outdoor activities. Exercise has been shown to improve mood, reduce stress, and promote overall physical health.
- Enhancing mental health: Engaging in activities that promote relaxation and stress reduction like meditation or yoga can also deliver significant mental health benefits. These activities can help you to manage stress, anxiety, and depression, all commonly associated with addiction recovery.
List of Sober Nightlife Activities in Newport Beach
If you’re looking for fun and engaging things to do that are not based on drugs or alcohol, here are some of the best sober nightlife activities in Newport Beach.
Many sober events take place throughout the year in Newport Beach. These events provide a great opportunity to socialize and have fun without the need for alcohol or drugs.
Newport Beach has a vibrant recovery community, and there are many AA and Al-Anon meetings that take place in the area. AA meetings provide a supportive environment where you can connect with others and build a strong sober support network. Al-Anon meetings are designed to support the loved ones of those who are abusing alcohol.
The Newport Beach Alano Club is a sober community center that offers a variety of events and activities for those in recovery. From speaker meetings to sober dances to game nights, there’s always something happening at the Alano Club.
Eventbrite showcases over 200 sober events in Newport Beach, CA right here.
Meetup is another resource for Newport Beach sober events. From broad-based organizations like Sober in SoCal to more niche groups like Young People in Recovery in Orange County, search for sober activities near Newport Beach any time you’re stuck for ideas.
Local Sobriety-Friendly Hotspots
Newport Beach also has many sobriety-friendly hotspots that are ideal for a night out with sober friends.
Café Gratitude is a plant-based restaurant that offers a range of delicious and healthy dishes. The restaurant has a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere, making it a great spot for a sober night out.
Newport Beach has many great live music venues that offer a range of music genres. The Wayfarer, for instance, is a popular venue that features live music performances from local and national acts.
There is also a thriving art scene in Newport Beach, with many galleries and museums showcasing the work of local and national artists. Visit an art gallery to enjoy beautiful artwork and engage in interesting conversations with fellow art enthusiasts.
Newport Beach is a beautiful coastal city that offers a wide assortment of outdoor activities for those in recovery from drug or alcohol addiction. Here are some you can choose from:
- Beach walks: Newport Beach has miles of stunning beaches that are perfect for a leisurely walk or jog. Walking along the beach is a great way to clear your mind, reduce stress, and get some exercise at the same time.
- Hiking: There are several hiking trails in and around Newport Beach, including the Back Bay Loop Trail with scenic views of the bay and surrounding hills. You can also try the Crystal Cove State Park trails if you’re looking for more challenging hikes.
- Bike riding: Newport Beach has an extensive bike trail system that snakes along the coast. You can rent a bike or bring your own and take a leisurely ride while enjoying ocean views and clearing your mind.
- Stand-up paddle boarding: Stand-up paddle boarding is a thrilling and active way to enjoy the water in Newport Beach. You can rent a board and paddle and explore the harbor or take a guided tour.
- Kayaking: Kayaking lets you explore Newport Beach’s beautiful waterways. Rent a kayak and paddle through the harbor or take a guided tour of the local estuaries.
- Whale watching: Newport Beach is home to marine life that includes whales, dolphins, and seals. Take a guided tour to see these amazing creatures up close in their natural habitat.
- Golfing: Newport Beach has several world-class golf courses, including Pelican Hill Golf Club and Newport Beach Country Club. You can enjoy a round of golf with friends or take lessons to improve your skills.
- Yoga: Yoga is a discipline that helps you to improve flexibility, reduce stress, and boost your overall health and well-being. Newport Beach has many great yoga studios that offer classes for individuals of all levels.
These are just a few of the many sober outdoor activities you can enjoy in Newport Beach, California. Get out there and have some fun!
Newport Beach Rehab at Renaissance Recovery
At Renaissance Recovery Center near Newport Beach, we offer sober living programs for addictions to alcohol, prescription medications, or illicit drugs. We also offer mental health treatment and dual diagnosis treatment.
All treatment programs at Renaissance combine holistic therapies and evidence-based interventions that include:
- Medication-assisted treatment
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Individual counseling
- Experiential adventure therapy
When you are ready to move beyond addiction, take the first vital step by calling admissions at 866.330.9449.