Addiction is on the rise in the United States. According to SAMHSA Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration), over 46 million U.S. adults reported drug addiction or alcoholism in 2021.
While addiction is a chronic and incurable condition, most substance use disorders respond positively to evidence-based treatment.
Need help getting addiction treatment?
In California, you can find over 90 organizations dedicated to drug dependency treatment and substance abuse treatment. Today’s guide highlights some of the best substance abuse nonprofits in California.
Renaissance Recovery is not a non-profit organization, we are just trying to provide people with as much information as possible.
How Addiction Nonprofit Organizations Can Help
Addiction nonprofits can be beneficial for those at all stages of the recovery process. Some of the leading benefits include:
- Providing access to peer support groups: An addiction nonprofit can offer peer-led support groups that provide a safe, supportive environment for those in recovery to share their experiences and offer each other support. Connect with peers who have lived experience of drug addiction or alcoholism.
- Directly providing therapy: Many addiction non-profits offer therapy and counseling services to help people at all stages of their recovery journeys to address the underpinning causes of their addictions and to develop superior coping skills.
- Connecting those in recovery with housing and job training: Non-profits may offer housing and job training for those without the tools to rebuild their lives and achieve self-sufficiency.
- Community-wide education: Non-profits can serve to educate the public about addiction and to dispel stereotypes or misunderstandings about people in recovery from drug addiction and alcoholism.
- Connecting individuals in recovery to key resources: Non-profits can help connect those recovering from addiction with resources like healthcare and financial assistance if required.
Top 5 Non Profit Organizations for Substance Abuse in California
These are among the leading substance abuse nonprofits in the Golden State:
- The Purpose of Recovery
- Be Well Orange County
- The Phoenix
- NAMI Orange County
1) The Purpose of Recovery
The Purpose of Recovery is a non-profit RCO (recovery community organization) based in Orange County.
TPOR serves those in recovery from drug addiction and alcoholism. The organization also helps the families of those in recovery from all types of addictions.
Services offered are free of charge and include:
- Individual mentoring
- Peer coaching
- Robust family support services
- Group meetings
- Volunteer opportunities
- Community education
- Advocacy services
This addiction nonprofit is a member of the following organizations:
- ARCO (Association of Recovery Community Organizations)
- ARCC (Addiction Recovery Communities of California)
- Orange County Recovery Collaborative
The Purpose of Recovery is also a community partner of Drug Free Org’s Partnership to End Addiction.
Parents & Addicts in Need is an addiction nonprofit that specializes in helping those with substance abuse issues in the following areas:
- Community outreach
- Drug testing
- Rehabilitation services
- Emotional support
- Free Narcan opioid overdose reversal agent
- Sober living homes in Southern California
Based in Fresno, CA, PAIN provides individualized resources on all aspects of addiction, including opioid abuse and fentanyl addiction.
3) Be Well Orange County
Be Well OC is a collaboration of:
- Mental health care services
- Public sector organizations
- Private sector organizations
- Academic institutions
- Faith-based organizations
The driving goal of Be Well Orange County is to eliminate the existing barriers to addiction treatment. It is estimated that fewer than 10% of those with diagnosable addictions receive any form of care.
This nonprofit model offers a blueprint can be used in communities across the United States looking to improve their mental health system.
4) The Phoenix
The Phoenix is an addiction nonprofit in California that strives to help those at all stages of their addiction recovery journeys.
To qualify for free membership, you must be at least 48 hours sober and agree to treat others respectfully when engaging with the services on offer.
This organization boasts over 100,000 members nationwide, so join a sprawling sober support system and connect with others in recovery.
5) NAMI Orange County
NAMI Orange County aims to provide the following services for families of those in Orange County with mental health conditions, including substance use disorders:
- Education about substance abuse
- Emotional support
- Resources for families
- Educational programs
- Peer support groups throughout OC
NAMI Orange County is an affiliate of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness).
Get Addiction Treatment at Renaissance Recovery
If you are addicted to alcohol, illicit narcotics, or prescription medications like opioids or benzos, choose to kickstart your recovery at Renaissance Recovery Center in Orange County. While we are not a non-profit organization, we do work with insurance organizations to make treatment more affordable and accessible.
We offer a variety of outpatient programs to help you connect with addiction treatment at an appropriate level of intensity. Renaissance programs for alcoholism and drug addiction include:
- PHPs (partial hospitalization programs)
- IOPs (intensive outpatient programs)
- Dual diagnosis treatment programs
For those expecting severe withdrawal from drugs or alcohol, we can put you in touch with licensed medical detox centers throughout Southern California. A supervised medical detox offers the smoothest and safest pathway to ongoing treatment.
All treatment programs draw from a personalized combination of holistic therapies and evidence-based interventions. These may include:
- MAT (medication-assisted treatment)
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Individual counseling
- Holistic therapies
You will leave Renaissance Recovery Center equipped with a comprehensive aftercare plan and access to our alumni program. When you are ready to move beyond drug addiction or alcoholism, call admissions at 866.330.9449 for immediate assistance.