Several common mental health disorders exist that make it hard for people to deal with the challenges of life. Many people turn to substance abuse as a means to handle the difficulties of a mental health condition. If you have one of these common mental health disorders, then it’s necessary to seek the proper treatment so you can find a brighter future.
Common Mental Health Disorders That May Lead To Substance Abuse
Any untreated mental health condition can lead to substance abuse. Some of the more common mental health disorders that co-occur with substance use disorder include:
- Mood disorders: This type of mental health disorder affects your mood and includes illnesses such as major depressive disorder and bipolar disorder.
- Anxiety disorders: This mental illness includes a broad spectrum of anxiety disorder including generalized anxiety, social anxiety, and panic disorder. These can also include phobia disorders.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder: PTSD is a difficult disorder to deal with. It results when someone has been through a traumatic situation in the past. They often suffer mental health issues later on in life due to suppressing the trauma at the moment. Flashbacks, nightmares, and disassociation are a few of the symptoms.
- Psychotic disorders: Psychotic mental health disorders are slightly less common than the other mental health disorders but may be more serious. They involve people having a break from reality. Schizophrenia is an example of this disorder.
Risks Of Untreated Mental Illness
Several consequences may arise when you don’t treat mental illness. When the mental illness goes untreated, it usually gets worse and leads to deteriorating conditions. This can result in:
- Risk-taking behavior
- Suicidal ideation or suicide
- Physical problems, such as stomach upset, insomnia, and headaches
- Substance abuse and addiction
What Types of Therapy Work for Mental Health Disorders
Individual therapy is the first step in the recovery process for those with mental health disorders. During the one-on-one sessions, the therapist will help give an assessment to determine what type of mental health disorder you have. Then you can move forward with the appropriate treatment plan. Some of the therapies that help with common mental health disorders include:
- Holistic therapy treatment
- Cognitive behavioral therapy treatment
- Dialectical behavior therapy treatment
- Individual therapy treatment
- Dual diagnosis treatment
Group therapy is also beneficial for those struggling with mental illness. You will have the opportunity to connect with others who are going through a similar situation. It also provides another perspective on problems. You will gain tremendous support from others in the group too.
Discover Support At Renaissance Recovery
Find support from caring staff and peers at Renaissance Recovery. With the help of our professionally trained therapists, you can face any challenge. Our compassionate approach provides solutions for those struggling with substance abuse in a loving and dignified way. We use evidence-based methods to get people the solutions they seek. By utilizing a customized treatment plan, you will find the perfect path forward in life. As you move forward, you will find the motivation to stick with your goals.
No matter what type of substance abuse you are dealing with, from alcohol to heroin abuse, there is hope for you.
Our wide range of treatment programs is specially designed with the many needs people face. Some of these programs are as follows:
- Partial Hospitalization Program
- Intensive Outpatient Program
- Outpatient Program Services
- Women’s Treatment Program
- Men’s Treatment Program
Don’t let substance abuse take over your life. Now that you know the common mental health disorders, you can find the addiction help you need. Seek treatment at a quality addiction treatment center when you contact us at 866.330.9449. We’ll be by your side every step of the way.